Blog Title

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Could it be?

Yes! It is! Another post! Holy Hell! This is incredible! Actually, I think I'm getting into a groove in the morning... Wake up early and have a little bit of time to myself. I know it cuts out even more sleep, but it's worth considering how much time I get to sit around and relax. What was that? You want to know why I need extra time to relax? Well let me tell you; the three times in the past week and a half that I wasn't working, socializing, or sleeping I spent my entire time posting in this thing called a blog. Yes, that's right. You can see exactly how much "time-to-myself" I've had by dividing the number of blogged words by my average words typed per minute. So waking up a little earlier works out well considering how much it has increased my time to not have a breakdown. --Start Geek Stuff-- When I was at Bush's the other night (not the president, but a friend) I had a neat idea for all those times that I feel like a console junkie. I took the "startx" script, fiddled with it to use a specific xinitrc file, so that I can start an X server for a specific game. So it works like this, I type cg.jk into the console and up goes X and Jedi Knight II. When I exit JKII, X shuts down and I'm back at the beautiful console. "But Dave," you ask, "why not just start up an X server and run JKII from a managed environment?" "Simple, dear reader, as there are several reasons for my odd ways." A.) My ADD won't allow me to settle on a specific interface for more than a couple of weeks. Usually, when I tire of Gnome, Fluxbox, etc, I go into console-junkie mode for a little while, happily shunning X whilst I start a session of: B.) Sceen. Yes, it's just that cool. C.) Messing with the startx script, and passing a couple of options to X itself is a relatively new learning experience for me. Learning is one of the main reasions I use linux. I don't want something that "Just Works." I want to understand what's going on in the OS. To the average user windows is kind of a magic trick. "I press the big button on the computer case and in a few minutes this monitor will light up with this purty screen wheres I can git online and check mah e-mail." Joe User doesn't usually think "Holy crap, considering that the only numbers this machine can deal with are 1's and 0's, there is some insanely complex math going on here for this thing to interpret mouse movements and draw what I'm doing on the screen!" Nor does he think "Holy hell! My computer is transferring craploads of information to and from millions of computers which are all hooked into one giant network!" The average user only wants to do certain small things without knowing the background. Like an animal or machine, they only operate without understanding what they are truly doing. D.) I don't know how feasible this even is, but I imagine that I get better framerates as more system resources are free. So, as you can see, pepperoni is _clearly_ better than ham. Thank you. --End Geek Stuff-- Oops. --Start More Geek Stuff-- There are many small reasons for my creating of scripts for running games out of the console, and I may not even use them that often... but I know that they're there, and that makes me feel good. Oh, by the way, use slackware. Just do it. I'll help you out and answer your questions if you need it. If you want to look at the "gears and inner workings" of an OS, go with slackware. Other Linuxes (read: Redhat and Mandrake [lindows is not linux... because I say so.]) are geared towards making linux work so Aunt "I moved the taskbar without realizing it again" Betty can figure it out. Enjoy the freedom Linux was meant to have. Enjoy Slack. --End Geek Stuff for Real This Time-- So that sums it up. Mebe I'll post more that I have a little more Dave-Time built into the day... we'll just have to wait and see. -Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home