Blog Title

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Mmmmm.... Slack...

So, despite liking Vector as the distro for 'ol lappy, I reinstalled slack 10.1 (as well as on the newly revived media machine). It makes me remember how much I enjoy using slackware. Things just work. I install stuffies from source and they work. I have some well thought-out reasons on why I like using Slackware, but I'm not going to get into them now; that's a rant for another time. Quickly, however, I will touch on how incredibly awesome MPD is. Kudos to Carl for suggesting it. MPD stands for the Music Player Daemon (a daemon is a service/server that runs in the background on your computer). The MPD machine is a Pentium II 350mhz beast with 256MB RAM. I know that's overkill in the memory department, but I've got nothing better to do with it. This "musicbox" sits in the corner waiting for an MPD client to control it. These clients are programs that look like your standard mp3 players, but instead of playing music on the machine the client is running on, they interface with the MPD so delicious music will be played on the glorious speakers in the frontroom. It's all very handy for when you want to just sit and listen to some music. Thanks to wireless I can sit anywhere and control the music as simply as if it were playing on the laptop. I'd rant a little longer, but I'm dead tired, and have writing to do in the morning, so it's off to the sleeps for me. Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home