Blog Title

Friday, September 17, 2004

Etc.

So the semester is begining to even out. Trumpet lessons are going forward, My relationship is going through a positive "re-gearing" process, and I joined choir to satiate my desire to perform with more ensembles. I just needed (and still need) to slow down and re-evaluate everything. Figure out exactly where I stand and how I'm doing. With everything on an upward swing I've been messing around with the Ipaq some more... In case you didn't know, (or in case I never mentioned it here) I recently became the owner of a PocketPC. Appearently my mother purchased it a while ago and loved it. Unfortunately, her old desktop bit the big one and she had to get a new computer, this time settling on a laptop. Well, long story short, the laptop does everything she used her Ipaq to do, so the PPC sat dormant in a drawer for a few months. Enter Dave, the poor college student with an eye for hardware to dink around with., here I ask to mess around with it and my Mom grants me the ability to do whatever I want wit it this semester, and then she'll decide whether or not to let me keep it. So, I spent some time messing around with WinCE. (pronounced "wince," if you've used it you'd understand...) A couple of hours later I decided to put linux on it and since that point I've been pushing various ideas and uses for it. It's quite versatile; it has a 207Mhz ARM processor, 32MB of Flash, and 64MB of RAM. I tossed in a 256MB flash SD card for extra tastiness, and now have a variety of uses for it including, but not limited to: -Everything the WinCE platform allowed it to do (PIM, Web Browser, Etc) -A _real_ file system. -USB Networking -Doom. (Yes, Doom. It runs amazingly well) -A Gameboy Emulator (Huzzah!) -an MP3 Player (a la SD card) -...and a working copy of VLC. There's more to it, and I'll grab some screenshots and post them later. As for now, I'm off to sleepland. -Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home