Blog Title

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Gyyyyarrrrgh...

Well, I've got the window manager itch. It's a very serious condition that only affects *nix hackers with sizeable cases of ADD. Symptoms include (but are not limited to): constant scanning of freshmeat.net for new WM's, googling broad phrases like "new window manager" or "something different to manage my windows!!!1!", homicidal tendencies; and, in desperate cases, a rash. Yes, this condition is driving me towards my edge, and the itch must be satiated. Sooo... I'm downloading a crapload of X windowmanagers and trying them out (sometimes for the second or third time). What I'm looking for is something truly unique. Everyone and their Grandma has a blackbox derivative, I want something that really outsteps the norms of UI thinking. In the past, my travels have shown me some truly novel ideas, but none have been able to hold my attention for long. To make things more difficult I have criteria that need to be matched: it needs to be lightweight (I'm running on an 800Mhz Celeron here), it needs to be innovative, and it should preferably not be ass-ugly. The closest windowmanager I've seen that gets close to those criterion is PieWM, but she's been out of commission for quite some time, and she's got a face only a mother could love (on payday). Well, I've heard the sirens' call, and I must venture forward. Wish me luck in my travels. I shall report my findings here.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home