Blog Title

Friday, September 30, 2005

Blog!

So, the itch came again... I fidgeted with various window managers again on the laptop, but all of them seemed just a little too pokey. I know the lappy has a celeron, but it seems that it isn't pushing out the kind of power I'd expect from an 800Mhz processor. I decided to try *gasp* a different distribution, one a little more focused on speed. I settled on Crux Linux, a source-based distro whose base packages were optimized for a 686. Crux is designed for the advanced Linux user, as the install process involves using chroot and compiling/installing your kernel. I figured it's lack of automation and use of BSD-style init scripts would give me a familiar environment to work with. Unfortunately, the speed difference was negligible. And, being a putsy cpu, compiling everything from source kinda sucked. I don't mind compiling, but the Crux port system doesn't follow dependencies. Without taking care of those nasty deps, there really wasn't much difference from downloading the source and installing myself. Long story short, Slack 10.2 is on my system. ...and I'm using KDE. ...and I like it. I shall fill in more later.

1 Comments:

  • Hey, Great Blog!
    Ok, those automated little commenters suck, good to see a post from you again. :-)

    By Blogger Michael, at 6:35 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home